Virtual Private Network
Secure Connection office, users and partners
Virtual Private Networks (VPN) help organizations expand and improve the speed connectivity in a safe and profitable way
A virtual private network (VPN) is a private network constructed within a public network infrastructure, such as the World Wide Web. Companies can use virtual private networks to securely connect remote offices and users through economic Internet access provided by third parties, rather than expensive dedicated WAN links or links from long distance remote dial.
Organizations can use VPNs to reduce the cost of bandwidth WAN network, while increasing connection speeds of Internet connectivity via high bandwidth, such as DSL, Ethernet or cable.
VPNs provide the highest level of security using IP Security (IPsec), VPN tunnels or encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and authentication technologies. These technologies protect the data passing through the virtual private network against unauthorized access. Companies can use the Internet style infrastructure of a virtual private network, whose simplicity allows quickly addition of new sites or users. They can also dramatically increase the scope of the virtual private network without significantly expanding infrastructure.
VPNs extend security to remote users
SSL VPNs and IPsec VPNs have become the main VPN solutions to connect remote offices, remote users and business partners because they:
* Provide secure communications with access rights tailored to individual users such as employees, contractors and partners
* Increase productivity by extending the reach of enterprise networks and applications
* Reduce communication costs and increase flexibility
The two types of encrypted VPNs:
* IPsec VPN site to site: This alternative to Frame Relay or leased line WAN enables companies to extend network resources to branch offices, home offices and business partner sites.
* Remote Access VPN: This extends to virtually all data applications, voice or video on remote desktops, emulating the central office desks. The remote access VPNs can be deployed using SSL VPN, IPsec, or both, depending on deployment requirements.